Drawing Disability/ Drawing Diversity

This was the collaborative image our group produced to represent a disability

This week the theme was on how images are used to portray disability or difference. We looked at lots of quite controversial and sensitive issues to do with the topic and ended the session drawing a portrayal of someone with a disability. The session gave us an insight into how difficult it can be to portray sensitive subject matter.

We were asked to think about how we do this as a profession which was  interesting to think about.

Drawing Disability/ Drawing Diversity

The theme was on how images are used to portray disability or difference. We looked at lots of quite controversial and sensitive issues to do with the topic and ended the session drawing a portrayal of someone with a disability. The session gave us an insight into how difficult it can be to portray sensitive subject matter.

We were asked to think about how we do this as a profession which was an interesting topic to think about. If you were asked to draw about disabilities and the issues surrounding them would you be able to do it! – Great question!

The above image is a combined work by our group of three artists. We had been thinking about how someone may feel with Downs syndrome and also about how to show someone you have a disability when it is a hidden disability or mental health condition that does not have too many external symptoms or signs. By Denia Hood, Tom Denny and

In Thinking about how difficult subject matter is dealt with within Graphic Narratives lots of issues that are very personal to me became apparent. I have a disability and it felt empowering and healing to think about being able to tell my story or the story of others using sequential art.

When someone has a disability, it can be extremely isolating for that person and to communicate needs can seem like a huge insurmountable task. To use drawing to overcome some of the difficulties of a disability cannot be underestimated in importance and therapeutic capacity. For me finding new ways to express myself has always been something that helps me to deal with the difficulties of life. With a disability, it becomes a fundamental expression of who I am to find new ways to communicate the things I could automatically express with little or no effort before. For the viewer of art made by a disabled person the viewer takes on a role of responsibility with the new information gained by looking at the information presented to them. This is a responsibility to hold the disabled persons needs in consideration with compassion and empathy and to act accordingly with all due respect and love.