Race and Sexuality in Comics

Dr Monalisa Earle : Guest Lecturer

MULTIPLE ERASURES: THE PORTRAYAL OF QWoC- SEXUALITY IN COMICS AND GRAPHIC NARRATIVES.

Out and the night documentary -Lesbian women defending themselves from sexual assault branded as sexual deviants.

Does popular culture affirm or challenge the notion that gender and sexuality are inexplicably bound up in race?

If so how or does sequential art act as counter narrative? is it showing it in a negative way is it not helping the narrative progress?

Multi- modality (see quote on moodle)

Wil Eisners definition of sequential art

http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/Will_Eisner-Theory_of_Comics_and_Sequential_Art.pdf

Chris Ware

Chris ware has developed very interesting ways of working in a graphic narrative including giant pop up book and interactive digital comics

chris-ware1

How is sequential art used to deconstruct or reinforce sexuality and race?

Palestine -Joe Sacco – what is it like to be oppressed in Palestine

Joe Sacco -raw behind the scenes commentary of life in Palestine in recent war times.

bebd3cd9611477702eb44d518d2eecf2

ANC- what is the meaning of ANC and how is its meaning changed since Nelson Mandela

Comics give activists freedom to speak out against oppressive regimes

Movements built around images

Persepolis

Gender and sexuality is explored in Persepolis
image from Persepolis

Robert Crumb

1-crumb_lo

illustrations by Robert Crumb
illustrations by Robert Crumb
BIG GIRL ENJOYS PENETRATION FROM THE REAR

Robert Crumb is an American cartoonist and musician. He is a prolific artist who contributed to the underground comix movement. His work of ten is depicting sexual themes and over sexualising women and women of colour. I found his work to be misogynistic and offensive.

Problematic Categories of Society – perpetuating stereotypes or breaking new ground in popular culture.

Whos GAZE is the narrative created for?

Sexualisation of women in comics

stereotyping and degradation through comics

QWoC -visual activism

Jamaica Dyer

Jamaica Dyers artwork
Jamaica Dyers artwork

cover_largeprint

draw a 4 or 6 panel narrative – HOW IS YOUR SEXUALITY REFLECTED BACK TO YOU – DRAW YOUR OWN COMIC.

my graphic narrative about how my sexuality is reflected back to me

Creative non truth- Journalism and non-fiction -health-comics as therapy.

Creating Comics as Journalism, Memoir and Nonfiction -by Randy Duncan, Michael Ray Taylor and David Stoddard.

What is qualitative interviewing?

Ethical Issues in Interviewing, awareness of decision making process, using Sudonames, anonymity etc.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Race and Sexuality in Comics

Multiple Erasures: The portrayal of QWoC- Sexuality in Comics and Graphic Narratives.

In looking at this subject matter what strikes me is the fact that as a female graphic artist there is the necessity of establishing oneself and ones’ role as a Graphic narrator and therefore there is a need to evaluate the current scene of Graphic Narratives and who is who and who does what and then to find a place there as an individual. This is finding an identity as a woman, as an artist and as a personality amidst many other personalities in an industry that is most run by men.

The seminar that was given by Dr. Mona Lisa Earle and was focussed firstly on her identity as a Black woman of colour and as a lesbian, we examined how this identity is portrayed in the world of comics and graphic narratives. We were introduced to a ‘world of comics overview’ and asked to consider how sequential art is used to deconstruct and/or reinforce sexuality and race. After a mini tour of the world of sequential art and its various artists and the ways they use the art form to express opinions or feelings or rebellion or fantasies we were asked to directly participate by creating sequential art.

What is important to me is that I took from the seminar an alternative vision of the comics world, one from a very different perspective that I may have never seen before and was then able to from that viewpoint place myself in a role within that world.

Balancing male and female natures in a Krishna Conscious relationship- Creating a divine child by Denia Hood

In examining how sexuality is portrayed in sequential art we are able to understand our own sexual identity and from there we were asked to create a Graphic Narrative of 6 panels. The above image is my work from this session and shows the development of a relationship in Krishna Consciousness in which Prayer is very important.

In Krishna Consciousness, we learn that our identity is eternal and spiritual. We are eternal spiritual beings. The graphic narrative shows me praying and chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra which is called “The Great Chanting for Deliverance”. Within the Hare Krishna Movement, the philosophy is about the divine feminine and divine masculine natures within all of us and uniting in Krishna Conscious marriage is for the propagation of Krishna Conscious children. Before the conception of a child in Krishna Conscious marriages the couple chant 50 rounds of Mantras before conceiving a child. Sex is not explored for sense gratification.